I finally had a go at making a Cottage Pie & it turned out fantastic. Cottage Pie is the one with minced beef, Shepard's pie is the one with minced lamb. This is the recipe I used for it.
Prep time: 10 minutes:
Cooking time: 70 minutes.
Minced beef 500 g.
One onion diced.
400 ml of beef stock.
150 ml red wine.
2 tbsp tomato puree.
1 tbsp plain flour.
2 tsp dried thyme.
Kikkoman Soy Sauce to taste.
Ground salt & pepper to taste.
50 ml of olive oil.
grated cheese, the amount depends on your love of cheese.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion & cook until softened. Set aside onto a separate plate.
- Fry the mince in the remaining olive oil, turning it until it is browned all over.
- Stir in the onion & tomato puree, cooking for a further minute.
- Stir in the flour, cooking for a further minute.
- Pour in the red wine & add the thyme, mix in well.
- Add the beef stock & simmer for 45 minutes. Season with salt & pepper & add Kikkoman Soy Sauce to taste. Keep warm on low heat.
- Preheat grill.
- Chop up the potatoes & put them in a pan of salted water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until soft.
- Drain the potatoes, add a knob of butter & a splash of butter then mash.
- Season to taste.
- Put the mince filling in a baking dish, I used two separate smaller dishes.
- Spoon the mash over the top of the mince filling & smooth out.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Grill under the preheated grill until the cheese has melted & begun to brown.
- Serve. I had mine with boiled peas & carrots on the side.
This recipe made enough for 4 smaller servings, or for someone like me two servings.