This is my version of an old reliable recipe for cottage pie.
- Minced beef 500 grams.
- One onion diced.
- 400 millilitres of beef stock.
- 150 millilitres of red wine.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour.
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme.
- Kikkoman Soy Sauce to taste.
- Ground salt & pepper to taste.
- 2 potatoes.
- 50 millilitres of olive oil.
- Grated cheese, the amount depends on your love of cheese.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion & cook until softened. Set aside onto a separate plate.
- Fry the mince in the remaining olive oil, turning it until it is browned all over.
- Stir in the onion & tomato puree, cooking for a further minute.
- Stir in the flour, cooking for a further minute.
- Pour in the red wine & add the thyme, mix in well.
- Add the beef stock & simmer for 45 minutes. Season with salt & pepper & add Kikkoman Soy Sauce to taste. Keep warm on low heat.
- Preheat grill.
- Chop up the potatoes & put them in a pan of salted water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until soft.
- Drain the potatoes, add a knob of butter & a splash of butter then mash.
- Season to taste.
- Put the mince filling in a baking dish, I used two separate smaller dishes.
- Spoon the mash over the top of the mince filling & smooth out.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Grill under the preheated grill until the cheese has melted & begun to brown.
- Serve. I had mine with boiled peas & carrots on the side.
This recipe made enough for 4 smaller servings, or for someone like me two servings.