This is my recipe for a keto-friendly version of cottage pie made with Turkey.
Keto Gobbler Pie.
- Minced turkey 500 grams.
- One onion diced.
- 400 millilitres of chicken stock.
- 150 millilitres of red wine.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour.
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme.
- Kikkoman Soy Sauce to taste.
- Ground salt & pepper to taste.
- 1 small cauliflower head.
- 1 small broccoli head.
- 50 millilitres of olive oil.
- 3 small mixed bell peppers, chopped. I used red, yellow & green.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion & peppers & cook until softened. Set aside onto a separate plate.
- Fry the mince in the remaining olive oil, turning it until it is browned all over.
- Stir in the onion, peppers & tomato puree, cooking for a further minute.
- Stir in the flour, cooking for a further minute.
- Pour in the red wine & add the thyme, mix in well.
- Add the beef stock & simmer for 45 minutes. Season with salt & pepper & add Kikkoman Soy Sauce to taste. Keep warm on low heat.
- Chop up the cauliflower & broccoli & put them in a pan of salted water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until soft.
- Drain the cauliflower & broccoli, add a knob of butter & blitz with a handheld mixer to mash.
- Season to taste.
- Put the mince filling in a baking dish, I used three separate smaller dishes. Spoon the mash over the top of the mince filling & smooth out.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 190ºc.
This was the first attempt at making this & my first attempt at making mash using cauliflower & broccoli. The broccoli does give the mash a slight green tinge but it tastes really good, which I was pleased about. The mix of turkey, onion & peppers was a really nice change. Adding the red wine may add a few carbs to the meal but it gives it a bit of flavour & it is only a small amount for 3 large meals.
If you make this yourself, let me know how you get on & leave a comment below on any alterations you make so I can try them myself.